Thread: Speedo Gear...What's this

Default Speedo Gear...What's this

speedo gear.jpg

Hi all.

Replaced the plastic gear on the speedo cable that goes into the transmission on the speedo drive gear that I ordered from MKII.

The plastic gear didn't seat all the way down for the retaining clip to clip to the shaft that holds the plastic gear in place. So after working and grinding that on and securing it (you can see in the photo), I made sure every thing was spinning nicely and had good fit. I installed in the transmission, connected it to the speedo, ran the car in gear and it barely spins, sometimes don't spin, like it's missing. So after a few times of removing and going through it all again, same story except for the last time. When I put speedo drive gear the unit into the trans without bolting it down, put the car in gear and slightly pull the speedo drive gear out of the trans, less that 1/8" it fully engages the transmission. It seems when I bolt it down it goes to far in. Anyone encounter this?

Also, in the pic, what is the square nut/plug do?

Thank all, have agreat week
    Last edited by JohnC; 09-19-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    John Mush
    C56A1836

The square plug looks like an adjustment for end play. This may be able to solve your 1/8 inch play.

The unit looks like it is a reducer and may not be correct for the mark II.

It's been a long time since I have looked at the transmission connection on my car but I'm not sure this unit is correct for our cars.

Lets see what other comments come in.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps