Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiper control Cable

Default Wiper control Cable

Good morning all. When I got the car, the wiper control cable was disconnected from the wiper motor. I now have a new switch with a new cable attached to it but I can't find any info on how it gets attached to the wiper motor. The cable just has a little nub on the end. Any photos or drawing will be much appreicated .

Thanks
    John Mush
    C56A1836

It fits into the sliding rubber valve. That?s what controls everything.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Good Morning all,

20220728_164503.jpg This is a pic of my wiper motor with the original cable on it. It looks attached but it was just laying on top.

20220730_113623.jpg Here is a pic of the top of my wiper motor. I can see how the cable lays in there and clamps down with that screw. Is there anything missing on it?

20220730_113112.jpg Here is how I set my cable in there. I don't think it's right. When I turn the knob on the wiper control to the right, there is a lot of pressure on it and it wants to spring back, like it's binds up on something.

Thanks
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Does the rubber valve section move? You may have to take it apart to free it up. The big black part has to move too, I believe.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Yes...the big black part moves back and forth and also the part that it is connected too (is that the rubber valve section you are referring too). I'm wondering if the cable is seated right?
    John Mush
    C56A1836

I'll take a photo of mine today.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

The dark car is my '56 and the light car is a '57. I believe they are the same. I have a movie of the spray coordinator, the black thing, sliding left and right. If that's not sliding that could be your resistance. If you'll PM me an email address I can send you a video.

Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Hi,

i will Pm you my email to check out the video. I see that I am missing the rubber/plastic right on top there where the cable comes out.
    Here is a repost of my pic 20220730_113112.jpg

Also, the grommet you have that the cable is coming through the firewall gives a little space for some play in the cable which on mine the grommet is so tight around the cable that I have to make a very severe bend in the cable to make it from the firewall to where the cable gets sinched down. I think it is getting pinched there too and the cable may be hitting the big black part too causing a little binding up there too.

Thanks Barry
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Take a drill bit and put it in the grommet on the angle and ream it out to relieve the stress on the cable.

Did you install Jack's vacuum line kit?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Take a drill bit and put it in the grommet on the angle and ream it out to relieve the stress on the cable.

Did you install Jack's vacuum line kit?
    I will ream out that grommet...yes, I installed the vacuum kit from Jack....i did the vacuum test on the manifold as you suggested and have 20+" at the manifold. Ran the tube from the manifold to the 'in' side on the booster, ran the tube from the 'out' side of the booster to a brand new windshield washer pump. and then all the other hoses includng removing the tubes on the frame and blowing those out. When I put the vacuum tester on the tube that would go to the washer pump, I get no reading. I haven't yet gone through the checklist you sent me but I will. This is the first car I've had with a vacuum systems so my learning curve is pretty big..lol
    John Mush
    C56A1836