Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather Strip Replacement - Doors

Default Weather Strip Replacement - Doors

I need to replace the long weather strips on #1494. These are the long ones with the "V" shaped ends. I searched the Forum in hopes that someone had posted how to do this. It's either not there or I couldn't find it. I did find an unanswered old request from a Forum Member asking for the same information.

So, if anyone has replaced their door weather strips, I would greatly appreciate your "How To" expertise.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I’ve seen people splice old ends onto new weatherstrip material.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Thank you for your response, Barry. In the the case of 1494 the "V" end is deteriorated as is the weatherstrip through the bend at the lower rear of the door. The rest looks good. Splicing a new end may be the way to go. Replacing the weatherstrip on the forward part of the door looks problematic because there is such little clearance between the door and the trailing edge of the front fender.

Which adhesive do you recommend? 3-M?

Several people who have looked at this thread have done full restorations. I was hoping for a little more discussion.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I alway use Superglue for the splices. The key is to get both sides of the splice as flat and smooth as possible. I use a 100-tooth carbide blade for the cuts. I put the seals in PVC tubing to hold it still while slicing it off.

If I could not find replacements for the ends I'd make my own. Even if your ends are in bad shape they would serve to make a mold for new rubber. Cast a plater mold from the original and fix flaws using the repaired casting to serve as the new positive. This is what Mark II enterprises did with many rubber parts until demand had him make product-specific molds.

Your best adviser here would be Roger Zimmerman as he has casting down to a T.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Pat,

unfortunately, I am not yet so advanced in the restoration of 2503 that I could stick in the door weatherstrips ,but I always use a special profile rubber adhesive.

In my experience, a new weatherstrip needs a long time to fit exactly. Until then the doors will be difficult to close.
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

Super glue does make a nice and seamless connection. I used black super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive by 3m. And yes right now my doors are a little hard to close. These products were recommended to my by my brother a professional body man.
    David Mitchell
    C56_3200

Has anybody ever found a generic weatherstrip that can be made to fit Mark II doors. If they need to be spliced together anyway, wouldn't you think that there are multiple weatherstrips out there that can be made to fit? It seems hard to believe that Ford used an exclusive rubber design just for the Continental doors. Metro Rubber claims that the lesser Lincolns and the Continental use the same door weather stripping. Does anybody know if this is true?

Alan Harris
    C56B2119
    C56D2744

The weatherstripping is common, it’s the formed ends that are not made. They require Mark II-specific molds that are sufficiently different from other cars. They can be reproduced in one-off castings, but the results are often poor.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

While on the subject of door weatherstripping, has anyone found a replacement for this short piece above the hinges?

WS Door Above Hinges.jpg
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Mark II enterprises has them
    Graham Rollo,
    C56D2663 1956 Continental Mark II
    1957 Imperial Southhampton coupe
    1956 Buick Riveria special coupe
    1939 Chev tudor
    1931 Ford Model A coupe
    1987 Harley Davidson
    . 1940 Ford deluxe coupe