Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hood springs measurements

Default hood springs measurements

so i am in the middle or the restoration of 3095 and have run in to a problem the hood springs are gone and some jackass put a prop rod on the car. the Hood is very hard to open with out the springs. I have talked to a number of people who rebuild the hinges but wont except the cores without springs.

my plan is to have some springs made but i do not have one to get the details i need to have this done.

this is the company's web sight i am going to try using https://www.springsfast.com/products...nsion-springs/

Guide to Measuring Extension Springs
    Thank you for choosing W.B. Jones as your spring resource. In this guide, we will be covering how to measure extension springs.

Tools we recommend you have before you start are:

A micrometer, which should be used whenever possible
    Calipers
    A ruler or tape measure for large springs
    Watch this video on how to measure.

Measure the wire diameter.

We recommend that you measure the wire diameter in two different spots using a micrometer and take the average. This will allow for precise readings and accurate ordering.

For this spring, the wire diameter is .092 inches.

Measure the outside diameter.

This is commonly referred to as ?OD?. When possible, you should measure for the oustide diameter in the middle of the spring because the end coils tend to run large.

The ?OD? of this spring is .867 inches.

Measure the body length.

The body of an extension spring is considered the coiled portion. It does not include the hooks or loops. For this spring we?ll use a ruler, but for smaller springs using calipers or a micrometer is the best option.

For this spring the body length is 4.791 inches.

You can also provide the number of coils when using our online form. Remember to count each full rotation.

Measure the overall length of the spring.

This is the length over the top of each end or outside to outside.

The overall length of this spring is 6.055 inches long.

any help on this would be great or if anyone is in the middle of a resturation and could loan me one of there springs for a bit that would be awesome.

Thank you

Andy
    Pats Body Shop
    715-848-9153
    Andy Grundman
    C56F3095

I recall Holger had some new hood springs made in Germany for his car, it might save you a lot of hassle/risk. Hopefully he will comment shortly.

Here is the post he made at the time (looks like he might have some spare ones!);

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...t=hood+springs
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 06-07-2022 at 01:19 AM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Used hood springs work fine. Inspect the perches for the springs. If they are worn "round" the hood won't stay up. Restore the perches with weld and you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Used hood springs work fine. Inspect the perches for the springs. If they are worn "round" the hood won't stay up. Restore the perches with weld and you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
    I am sure used springs would work great problem is there were no springs with the car, someone installed a prop rod to hold the hood up, a prop rod that we would like to remove.
    Andy Grundman
    C56F3095

Quote Originally Posted by patsbodyshop View Post
    I am sure used springs would work great problem is there were no springs with the car, someone installed a prop rod to hold the hood up, a prop rod that we would like to remove.
    Used springs are available. My opinion is that you're making this more difficult than it is. Consult with Lincolnland or with Mark II Enterprises. There are parts cars that have them. With production variables you could make them just slightly too strong and kink the hood, or slightly too weak and slam your head with the hood.

However, it's just what I would do. You'll likely have to remove the hinges to install the springs. Have you had the hinges rebuilt? If not you'll likely have a hood rise at the firewall.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Used springs are available. My opinion is that you're making this more difficult than it is. Consult with Lincolnland or with Mark II Enterprises. There are parts cars that have them. With production variables you could make them just slightly too strong and kink the hood, or slightly too weak and slam your head with the hood.

However, it's just what I would do. You'll likely have to remove the hinges to install the springs. Have you had the hinges rebuilt? If not you'll likely have a hood rise at the firewall.
    i have the hinges removed already i have talked to mark II enterprises and they have zero springs available and won't sell the hinge assemblies with out cores with springs. Do you have the contact info for lincolnland? I also talked to a guy that rebuilds the hinges but wont sell them with out cores with springs. trust me i am not making this harder then it is and will pay top dollar for a good set of used springs!
    Andy Grundman
    C56F3095

What are you willing to pay. I know of a car that the owner is close to parting out, but it takes a bit of work to remove the hood. As you have found out, you don’t want to have a hood on a car without springs. Removing the hinges to get you cores involves disassembling much of what’s under the dash to get to the 4 nuts. Keeping that in mind I’d present your offer.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

What are you willing to pay. I know of a car that the owner is close to parting out, but it takes a bit of work to remove the hood. As you have found out, you don’t want to have a hood on a car without springs. Removing the hinges to get you cores involves disassembling much of what’s under the dash to get to the 4 nuts. Keeping that in mind I’d present your offer.
    Ow the hood hinges were not that bad to get off haha. I'll pay 300 for the springs hell I would pay someone $50 just to go out and get me the measurements off there car.
    Andy Grundman
    C56F3095

No need for money Andy, here are the basic figures for the hood hinge tension springs;

Wire diameter = 7.30mm
    Coil OD = 42.20mm
    Number of turns = 22.5

When relaxed the tension springs are close coiled (ie. little or no gaps between each turn).

The hood end has a longer tail with hook than the hinge mount end.

As I mentioned Holger had some copies made a year or two ago in Germany and recently reposted a photo of them. Even if he does not have any spares then he likely has a technical specification the spring manufacture made when reproducing them.

However note what Barry mentioned about damaging the hood with springs that might be too strong. I have personally experience of something similar with the original units ...I always now use a hood prop and don't let the hood hang on the springs after the skin popped several spot welds.

By the way this Ebay seller seems to be breaking a Mk2 that's way beyond saving;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15447657701...temCondition=4

Why not send him a message and ask if he has a set of hood hinges including springs to sell (if the photo is current then they are still there).
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 06-16-2022 at 05:49 PM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norris View Post
    No need for money Andy, here are the basic figures for the hood hinge tension springs;

Wire diameter = 7.30mm
    Coil OD = 42.20mm
    Number of turns = 22.5

When relaxed the tension springs are close coiled (ie. little or no gaps between each turn).

The hood end has a longer tail with hook than the hinge mount end.

As I mentioned Holger had some copies made a year or two ago in Germany and recently reposted a photo of them. Even if he does not have any spares then he likely has a technical specification the spring manufacture made when reproducing them.

However note what Barry mentioned about damaging the hood with springs that might be too strong. I have personally experience of something similar with the original units ...I always now use a hood prop and don't let the hood hang on the springs after the skin popped several spot welds.

By the way this Ebay seller seems to be breaking a Mk2 that's way beyond saving;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15447657701...temCondition=4

Why not send him a message and ask if he has a set of hood hinges including springs to sell (if the photo is current then they are still there).
    thank you for that and i did send the guy on ebay a message

can you get me the over all length of the springs and the lengths of the hooks from the coils?

Thank you very much for the help!
    Andy Grundman
    C56F3095