Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1254 - Grandpa gets a "New" Mark II

Russell:
    Great work. Hopefully we'll get at least one more member.
    Also, thanks for the confirmation on the VIN.
    Very best regards,
    John
    John Snoddy

That?s was my Mark II . #1254 recently sold out of Detroit. Barry and I did a modest amount of work too it . (A small job snowballed into a lot of work)It was very well loved and took us to a lot of great events and we received a lot of awards made a lot friends especially Barry Wolk!!! I purchased it on the west coast Portland Ore. It?s kinda bittersweet to see the video but the joy on Grandpas face made it ok.. we really loved that car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xon View Post
    That?s was my Mark II . #1254 recently sold out of Detroit. Barry and I did a modest amount of work too it . (A small job snowballed into a lot of work)It was very well loved and took us to a lot of great events and we received a lot of awards made a lot friends especially Barry Wolk!!! I purchased it on the west coast Portland Ore. It?s kinda bittersweet to see the video but the joy on Grandpas face made it ok.. we really loved that car!!
    I really enjoyed working with you. Being that we are both electricians with mechanical know-how, few words were spoken. At least you never called it a Lincoln. His Grandfather called it by the correct name. Made me smile.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnoddy View Post
    I can't help but wonder how a young guy earns enough money to give a $75,000 car to his grandpa. That's a fairly extravagant gift.
    Its possible he gave the car to his grandfather for his remaining lifetime, and after that, ownership would revert to the grandson.
    Andrew Aloisi

1956 Mark ll D2815
    2014 Mercedes E350 station wagon
    2015 BMW 750I
    2019 BMW 4301 CV

Maybe he had the means and was just doing something nice for his grandfather. They seemed close. I certainly couldn't gather that he had and secondary plans from the video. I don't think we should be second-guessing his motives.

I would have done that for my Grandpa Joe.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I am the recipient of the 1956 Continental Mark II that is shown in the video. Apparently my ?off the cuff? reference in the video about the serial number was taken too seriously!

The actual VIN No. is C5691254!, The serial No. is 07-1 M6E-919-6

I am looking for any information regarding this remarkable vehicle and how to best maintain it.

Specifically, I would like to know if anyone has any information about how to get another set of keys made?

Also, the best polish to use for both the body and the chrome to keep it looking as nice as it does?

I am admittedly a novice at this but love this car and want to keep it in the best condition possible.
    Tom Lambert
    435-669-1781
    Layton UT 84040
    Thomas L. Lambert
    C5691254

The key are standard '50s Ford issue. Most key shops have the blanks. As far as new Continental keys, forgetaboutit.

Any modern spray detailer will work great with that car. Although it's probably still covered in my fingerprints inside and under the hood, so don't hurt anybody with that thing as my DNA is all over it.

Your car is a terrific survivor, one of the best I've worked on. The former owner's drive was to make everything work and fit right. All 3 window motors on the left side are new, as is the glass in the front window. I put new butt slings in the front seats and installed rebuilt hood hinges. Keep them lubricated. I got the heater box cables to work, which made the defrosters work. I think I installed a clock motor switch under the dash to keep the battery from draining. If you drive it frequently enough that shouldn't be a problem.

Each time you let go of the door and it clicks shut like a bank vault door, think of me. It's a delicious sound. I couldn't stop testing it.

It's a great car. Your grandson chose well. I hope you enjoy owning it as much as I did working on it.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Tom:
    Welcome.
    Hearty congratulations on your car. Your grandson is one in a million; we all know the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on the polish. Some have used Meguiar's Color Back with some success. First let me say your acrylic lacquer paint is 65 years old so be very gentle with it. Also, the chrome is flashed onto stainless steel: DO NOT USE steel wool
    Having said all that I have included an article from Meguiar's which walks you through the process. Meguire's will work, Mother's will work. Barry, and maybe others, has (have) shown his (their) car(s) at Pebble Beach. They are really the experts.
    This article will get you started.
    https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...-Lacquer-Paint

YouTube Video:
    Click here to view on youtube

Here's also some info by Rick Payton on detailing the wheel covers.

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...highlight=caps
    Others have run their hubcaps through the dishwasher with great results; naturally not every spouse would allow this--it may not be a viable option for all.

I used saddle soap to clean my leather.

When you change your oil, use a high zinc content oil to prevent excessive cam shaft wear.
    I recommend using the highest octane gas you can find (hopefully without ethanol) and use a lead additive as additional insurance not to burn up your valves. This also reduces dieseling.

Here are the forum threads on 1254:
    https://www.markiiforum.com/search.php?searchid=2198
    You must be a sponsoring member to view this info.
    (You can sponsor for a dollar a month.)

Best regards,
    John
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 06-11-2022 at 04:43 AM.
    John Snoddy

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post

Your car is a terrific survivor, one of the best I've worked on. The former owner's drive was to make everything work and fit right.
    It that the car you reported in the VW forum?
    Roger

Correct, Roger.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126