Thread: Under hood finish

Default Under hood finish

Quick question! I?m replacing the sound deadner under the hood. 1. Is the deadner painted? 2. Do I need to put insulation on top of it? At serial number serial number c56g3200 with holes around edges it appears to have had a hood blanket but that may have to wait. Thanks again for your responses, David
    David Mitchell
    C56_3200

1. No
    2. No - The hood blanket goes on top of it.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Thanks Pat!
    David Mitchell
    C56_3200

David,

I assume you are referring to the two piece deadener/insulation. The majority of it is visible in the center of the hood but portions are sandwiched between the outer hood and the inner steel stamping. Since the sandwich construction assembly would have to be done before painting, unless the factory very carefully masked it off, I would expect that the insulation has at least over spray type of paint coverage. My car had over spray on the insulation on the hood as well as the trunk lid. When I replaced it during restoration, I did a light over spray in the body color.

The LCOC Mark II Authenticity Manual does not seem to address this issue for the hood or the trunk lid. When my car was judged at the eastern national meet, I did not receive any comments or deductions for the light paint on the insulation/deadener.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

Both of my ‘56’s have the light insulation overspray under the hood and all three have the overspray in the trunk.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH