Thread: Seat Foam Deterioration Solution.

Default Seat Foam Deterioration Solution.

I recently acquired this rear seat back. The leather is in great supple condition. However, from the pictures you can see that the underlying foam has crushed or deteriorated.
    1494 Upholstery-1.jpg 1494 Upholstery-2.jpg
    It will be easy enough to remove the staples and loosen the leather to access the foam.

As with many Mark II things I?m guessing there is no pre-shaped foam available. So, I?m wondering if anyone has dealt with or resolved this issue? I?m hoping that someone has come up with a relatively easy solution (or even a hard one!).
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I have photos of mine made up from different density foam blocks glued together and carved to fit. I’ll see if I can find them.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

This pretty much shows the technique. Make sure to make space for the steel hoop that forms the biscuit depression.

100_3569.jpg

100_3563.jpg
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Barry, did you shape the foam yourself? I've looked at a couple videos. The gluing the foam together looks pretty easy. I was wondering about the actual shaping? It looks pretty easy to do a do-over if you mess it up. The guys in the videos did the shaping with something that looks like an electric carving knife.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Yes, a carving knife and a rotary rasp. Very messy, but no other way. My interior was done by a pro.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126