Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.I.P Relay

Default S.I.P Relay

What does the letters SIP stand for...I cant find it anywhere. Getting ready for a pretty major electric repair, mostly under the dash....found a bunch of wire melted and welded together around the radio and over the glove box. When I first saw the car 3 years ago, (i've had it for about 6 months) sitting in a driveway the owner and one of my employees, at about 9am, put a battery in it and tried to start it. Wouldn't start, so we went back to work. At about 3 pm smoke pouring out of the car from under the dash. Now I see why
    John Mush
    C56A1836

"Sensing, Integrating and Proving" relay
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

John:
    Was the battery installed backwards with the negative ground connected to the positive post of the battery? This is a fairly common mistake that results in electrical fires
    As you may know, the SIP relay is housed in the black electrical panel on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It basically turns on the little red light which indicates low fuel. Mark Norris has made some replacements if yours is fried.
    Very best regards,
    John
    John Snoddy

Quote Originally Posted by Egenolf View Post
    "Sensing, Integrating and Proving" relay
    That's interesting Thank you
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnoddy View Post
    John:
    Was the battery installed backwards with the negative ground connected to the positive post of the battery? This is a fairly common mistake that results in electrical fires
    As you may know, the SIP relay is housed in the black electrical panel on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It basically turns on the little red light which indicates low fuel. Mark Norris has made some replacements if yours is fried.
    Very best regards,
    John
    Hi, I don't if the battery was installed backwards but it took all day for it to start smoking....we had a fire extingusher handy and that made a mess of the interior with fine powder everywhere behind the dash, which most of the powder is removed now since the dash is out. I did find out today that it is located in the fuse panel. I dont know if the SIP is fried. Is there a way to test? I did come across some post on this forum, which i will need to get to but from the little I read, it's not really to accurate
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Mark Norris may have an accurate test procedure. A non- technical guy as myself would turn the key on and drain the gas tank to see when and if the low fuel light illuminates.
    Regards,
    John
    John Snoddy

Last edited by jdsnoddy; 03-07-2022 at 04:08 PM.
    John Snoddy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Hi, I don't if the battery was installed backwards but it took all day for it to start smoking....we had a fire extingusher handy and that made a mess of the interior with fine powder everywhere behind the dash, which most of the powder is removed now since the dash is out. I did find out today that it is located in the fuse panel. I dont know if the SIP is fried. Is there a way to test? I did come across some post on this forum, which i will need to get to but from the little I read, it's not really to accurate
    Hi John, the likelihood is the SIP relay was already fried before the loom fire. Very few of them still work. First check there is 12V at the black wire terminal on it when the ignition is on. You should then see a positive voltage on the yellow terminal (it'll be circa 6 - 10 V depending on the tank level) - even when its failed this part usually still works. The red terminal should give 12V when you first turn on the ignition then go to zero volts after about 4 seconds (this red wire powers the small red indicator light in the center of the temperature/pressure/fuel level cluster on the left).

There are two options for repair, see;

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...ighlight=relay
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 03-07-2022 at 04:11 PM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Thanks...these are great links
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norris View Post
    Hi John, the likelihood is the SIP relay was already fried before the loom fire. Very few of them still work. First check there is 12V at the black wire terminal on it when the ignition is on. You should then see a positive voltage on the yellow terminal (it'll be circa 6 - 10 V depending on the tank level) - even when its failed this part usually still works. The red terminal should give 12V when you first turn on the ignition then go to zero volts after about 4 seconds (this red wire powers the small red indicator light in the center of the temperature/pressure/fuel level cluster on the left).

There are two options for repair, see;

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...ighlight=relay
    This is awesome info and what a great forum....a few months ago I knew nothing about this car except that I knew I had to get one. I don't know how i would get this done without the great help I'm getting here. Much appreciated
    John Mush
    C56A1836