Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubes on frame

So, I went under the car today to locate the vacuum storage tank, found it, then found a hose connected to it which is strange because there is no hose coming from the booster to the storage tank. So following the hose, it is connected to the water pump. So obviously this is not the right water pump in the car. This water pump has another opening under the bypass tube. Somebody hacked the crap out of this car. Check out the pics. Makes me crazy. So as a temporary fix, can the additional hose on the pump be disconnected and plugged while i sort out the vacuum hoses?

Thanks20210824_180015_resized.jpg Inked20220227_121342_LI.jpg Inked20220227_121051_LI.jpg
    John Mush
    C56A1836

I believe the two of the three metal lines that run on the passenger side are steel vacuum lines. The third is a copper water line.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    So, I went under the car today to locate the vacuum storage tank, found it, then found a hose connected to it which is strange because there is no hose coming from the booster to the storage tank. So following the hose, it is connected to the water pump. So obviously this is not the right water pump in the car. This water pump has another opening under the bypass tube. Somebody hacked the crap out of this car. Check out the pics. Makes me crazy. So as a temporary fix, can the additional hose on the pump be disconnected and plugged while i sort out the vacuum hoses?

Thanks20210824_180015_resized.jpg Inked20220227_121342_LI.jpg Inked20220227_121051_LI.jpg
    You're saying the rubber hose from the RH water control is hooked to the tank in the frame? Whats hooked to the RH heater core? If you suck the water out of the vacuum tank you can restore the function of the reserve, maybe two stored power stabs at the brake pedal. That rubber hose on the water pump is supposed to hook to a metal hose strapped to the side of the block. It us supposed to have a vacuum valve on the end of the pipe.

Yes, someone was very confused about how things work.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Barry...So the hose under the by pass tube is supposed to be there? (Heater outlet Hose? according to the manual) hooked to a tube on the motor? I will look tomorrow on what is hooked up to the heater core. I'll keep ya posted ....thanks for your feed back....I got a lot of homework to do
    Last edited by JohnC; 02-27-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    John Mush
    C56A1836

So I confirmed that the hose is definitely running from the water pump to the vacuum storage tank. The tube on the driver side of the engine block is open and after looking at the pic (included) is blocked and both my heater cores have no hoses connected at all. If anyone has a diagram of how all this is supposed to be hooked up the right way, I would love it so I can get all this right. When I had my 69 GTO as a kid, with no extra money, I assumed that we did anything we could to make it run. It seems like that was the plan for this car.

20220301_101437.jpg Hose at the Pump

20220227_121227.jpg Hose from pump to storage tank

20220301_101244.jpg 20220301_101310.jpg This where the hose is supposed to hook to with a vacuum valve at the end of the pipe?

Thanks again
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Looks like no harm with the heater pipe hooked to the vacuum tank, but that's real dumb. Get 1 or 2-wire hydraulic hose to replace the heater hose. It won't collapse under vacuum. Try and remove the nut on the check valve. You'll see a simple plunger head down by a spring. The manifold vacuum attached to the nut port and the tank hooks to the fitting that points down. The plunger is rubber that hardens and gets stuck in place by engine vapors and time. Thus valve id pulled against by engine vacuum, entering the booster for use when called for. The reserve is charged at the same time. In the event of a stalled engine you'd have no power brakes at all. When the vacuum from the engine is gone the spring-loaded valve slams shut and the reserve becomes the source of enough vacuum to give you two power brake stops. It works better on the poppet valve boosters as the sleeve-valve units like mine are a large vacuum leak in use. On a sleeve unit you can hear the hissing and the engine flutter and on a poppet there's none of that, but they are more "grabby" with the more-positive poppet valves. The biggest mistake I've seen is people replacing the C-shaped vacuum line inside the booster with fuel or water line, not realizing those hoses are for pressure and collapse under vacuum, negating your power brakes. The original hoses were a cast rubber. I've used single start hydraulic hose that I got to form, somewhat, with repeated baking. An original hose is better.

The two water hoses should have vacuum activated water valves, one for each side. The driver's side comes from the block (or the head) and the other feed from the water pump. When your thermostat, in the driver's side ductwork, is activated by a pull wire from the temperature selector opens the water valves that are supposed to provide equal water pressure to both sides. Each core has an output that T's with the other and returns to be reheated. I, personally, would pay my initial attention to the brakes. The Mark II has great brakes if you start with new drum and new shoes, designed for each other. Putting worn drums on new shoes is a recipe for burned shoes. New and old are different arcs and little initial contact is made, hence the burned material many people think are bad brakes when it was just bad choices.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

So there supposed to be tubes on both sides of the engine block with 2 water valves. I'm missing the tube on the right side of the block (from the pump) can I use copper? On the left side of the block the tube is cut short. Can it be coupled and extended?
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Yes, the tube can be copper. I believe that 1/2" electrical conduit is about the same size. Yes, you should be able to adapt the vacuum-controlled water valves to any kind of conduit. Do you have a Mark II parts book? The drawings for the system are quite good.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Awesome...thanks again...

I have the technical data manual on my desk to keep clean and a dirty copy in the garage and I downloaded this:

https://www.lincolnoldparts.com/pdf/...coln-Parts.pdf

Any other downloads or manuals I shouls have?
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Does your car have a/c?

The Mark II specific parts book is better as it filters out all the unnecessary Lincoln parts.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126