Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tubes on frame

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Also, Mark, do you know the builder of the Droop-Snoot Jag tribute car?
    I'm afraid not, actually I've not heard of it.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

3 real cars made. Raced poorly. All destroyed by the factory. The plans survived. A tribute ensued.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Looks like he is doing a lovely and very accurate job of a 1951 Jaguar C-Type. In 1952 Jaguar were hoping to build on the success of the 1951 Lemans effort (where the C-type first appeared). Just before the 1952 Lemans event Stirling Moss had driven a C-type in the Italian Mille Miglia road race and reported back by telegram that the Mercedes cars were much faster on the straights so in a panic rush Jaguar redesigned the bodies (drop snoot with a long flat tail) before they shipped out the cars to France for the race. No time for testing ...oops! In the race they all retired due to overheating because the drop snoop didn't allow enough air to get into the radiator. Altogether a very embarrassing result for Jaguar hence they quickly got rid of the three they built.. Moss got a lot of stick for his report (quite rightly too because it turned out the Mercedes weren't that fast)) and the Jaguar engineers wish they hadn't listened to him.

Actually I'm working on my all alloy C-type replica at the moment converting it to triple weber DCOE 40 carbs which has meant a new cylinder head with fully gas flowed porting. Its what they used in 1953 when they won Lemans. If nothing else the induction roar should be impressive. Then I've got some other work to do (fit correct special series generator, accurate switches, repaint the bonnet etc.) and hopefully have it back on the road later this year ..first time since 1993. Will post a few pictures on the "what else are you working on" thread.
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 03-13-2022 at 06:54 AM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Mark, do you know the specifics of the flare angles?
    From what I can find it seems the steel nut has a chamfer of 45 degrees and the receiving female inverted cone is 42 degrees (from parallel), the pipe flare is 42 degrees also so there is a slight crush effect when the nut is tightened up.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer