Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History of this vehicle...potential scam listing for sale

Default History of this vehicle...potential scam listing for sale

Looking for any owner history or knowledge of C56B1991. It lists as a dark blue car with white/blue interior but that is not what I see in the database and the reply from the listing smells like a classic Craigslist scam (note...this was not listed on CL).

Thank you,
    Christine

Where are you getting this information from? A link would be helpful!
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Here's the history on 1991:
    https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...ber-California
    I think Jim Fox of California circa 2012 is the last info we have.
    Yes, it would be helpful to know what link you're referencing.
    Regards,
    John
    John Snoddy

https://cars.trovit.com/used-cars/19...nental-mark-ii

I have no idea what Trovit is. You see the same cars listed at different prices...red flag #1. The car in question is the one for $17K. Click on most of the cars and you get AmericanListed.com or automotive-classified.com redirects. Here is the reply I get from my inquiry to seller:

I have attached a full set of pictures for you. Please check them.
    I'm sorry for this late response but I was out of civilization and I had no internet connection. I am working offshore and I don't know when I will return because of this coronavirus. The car is located at the auto broker in Dover, DE stored inside and ready to go. The car belonged to my father who recently passed away. He was the second owner. The car, the title, two sets of keys, manuals and some service history records is what you will get from the auto broker. I arranged for the sale right before I left, so all set on my end. I propose to close the deal through an auto broker, in the most safe and easiest way possible for both of us. Basically, it's similar to buying a car locally, the money will be sent to their holding account, and they will keep the money until you receive the car. After the car is delivered, you will have a 7 days inspection period before you decide if you wish to keep it or not. If you are serious about buying the car, I will ship it anywhere with no extra cost. If you want to move forward please contact me back so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you and stay safe,

Geothermal Engineer | David Wiebes

And when I asked for s/n he sent a pic of the plate. All the pics are of a blue car.

This is a similar process used by apartment scammers in NYC, from my prior experience. It feels phishy, especially for that price. Of course I would never pay money in advance like this. But the history of the car should tell the truth.

I hope scammers have not made it to the classic car industry. Maybe this is legit. But if not maybe we can use this as the start of a warning to future inquirers.
    Last edited by christine; 02-21-2022 at 07:22 PM.

I don't have access privileges to that page John

It only costs a dollar per month to become a sponsor member who has unlimited access to all pages on this forum. I encourage you to join us as a sponsor member.
    Best regards,
    John
    John Snoddy

Ah, I see now.

There are many scam websites out there.
    Recommend you steer clear of trovit.
    Bottom line: never buy a car unless you personally inspect it and the title. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is a scam. The cars for sale posted on this forum are usually legit. Hemmings, auction houses as Sotheby's, Bonham's and Goodings are also bonafide. Please be careful out there.

P.S We cannot confirm or deny that David Wiebes or his father ever owned a Continental Mark II
    Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 02-21-2022 at 09:27 PM.
    John Snoddy

How did you come up with the VIN C56B1991?

This is interesting, because Forum Member Jack Bowser has searched for that car for years.

For example, Jack posted this in 2020 "I think there may be a chance someone in a club in the Northern California area may know where the mark II ( C56B1991) might be. Jim Fox posted something about it in 2012 and he was from San Francisco. I owned this car back in the early 1960's and would love to find out about it's whereabouts and condition today."
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I owned C56B1991 back in the 1960's and would love to find it.
    It was originally two tone gray per the serial number plate. 11-18-1B6K-1208-5
    Where did you see it listed? What is CL?
    Last know whereabouts was back in 20012 as mentioned here in San Fransisco by Jim Fox.
    When I sold it in 1964 it went to San Fransisco so maybe it has been there ever since.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps