Thread: Liz Taylor Mark II

Default Liz Taylor Mark II

I have read articles over the years about Elizabeth Taylor's dark blue Mark II. Some say that it was ordered for her, others say that she ordered it as a gift for her husband. Others say that Ford provided it as public relations. It was billed to Kansas City but "supposedly" delivered to Los Angeles. Is there actually any real proof that this car belonged to or was driven by Elizabeth Taylor? Please do not take my question as an accusation that it was not somehow her car. I am really just curious if there is any actual proof or a photo of her with the car.
    Jeff Smith
    C56C2345

Jeff:
    Here's a video that can answer some of your questions.
    https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...izabeth+Taylor
    OBTW, I love that color
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 01-06-2022 at 02:20 PM.
    John Snoddy

Here's the Dealer Invoice it was sold to the Berl Barry Dealership in Kansas City. That was the Company Headquarters for Barry's Dealerships which included one in Los Angeles.

3196 Dealer Invoice.jpg

In my records I have no smoking gun which shows that Michael Todd purchased that car. That just means I don't have it, not that it doesn't exist.

A few considerations:
    Many celebrity Mark II invoices, did not have the celebrities names on the Dealer Invoice.
    The Berl Barry organization purchased other Mark II's through their KC HQ and had them sent to LA.
    This car's invoice had the exact DSO specifications as the car believed to have been owned by Todd/Taylor.
    Owner Thomas Spiel of Riverside County claimed that he bought 3196 from the Michael Todd Family, which had kept the car after his 1958 death. He bought the car sometime in the '60's.

Once again I have no smoking gun, but the gun's pretty warm.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 01-06-2022 at 07:39 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

With dealer swaps happening all the time I doubt they would take the destination into consideration. They wouldn’t risk a cracked block shipping it through an unknown path to a dealer, plus, it would have cracked just sitting outside the factory. What is the capacity of the cooling system?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Any other cars shipped to Missouri with 4 quarts? Any shipped anywhere with just 4 quarts?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

John, that is actually a very informative video you found. I painted my car the same color using the PPG Omni line which is a base/clear urethane. I plan on writing a tutorial about painting my car this color here soon.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Any other cars shipped to Missouri with 4 quarts? Any shipped anywhere with just 4 quarts?
    I looked it up online and found nearly a 30 quart capacity. A 50/50 mix would be nearly 4 gallons.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126