Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking steering gear

Default Leaking steering gear

Hi,

Found a leak on the steering gear under the steering shaft. Removed the steering arm, pulled the snap ring, the first washer, the dust seal which just broke apart, the 2nd washer and finally the oil seal. So I ordered a seal kit (picture included) from MKII Enterprises. When I recieve the kit i noticed no dust seal but what seems like 2 oil seals. I installed the oil seal with 2 washers...leaked...removed the oil seal and installed the 2nd oil seal...leaked again. So, my question is how important is the dust seal...can I get something comparable? Has anyone used this kit? Should I install both oil seals since it seems like there is no dust seal included?

Thanks all for your help

yb.jpg
    Last edited by JohnC; 12-06-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    John Mush
    C56A1836

I believe you were sent a wiper and a seal if you were sent what's shown in your picture. A wiper will likely have no spring while a seal has a spring to keep the seal tighter to the shaft. I believe the wiper goes in first. It seems that you would want to wipe the shaft to keep contaminates form the sealing surface. Could leak be coming around the seal rather than through it? I've seen that happen. How is your shaft? A slight burr can wreck a seal and wiper on installation.

Also, check to see if you have the venting washer on the PS pump. A proper washer will have a groove on one side, allowing the reserve to be open to atmosphere to allow for thermal expansion. I've seen rubber stoppers and flat washers used, and they both allow internal pressure to build forcing fluid out where it would not normally leak.

If they sent you two wipers by mistake, you will have a leak.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Thanks....sounds good...so the order would be, wiper first. steel washer, oil seal, steel washer and snap ring to finish it up?
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Oil seal first, steel washer, wiper, steel washer and snap ring. The wiper is the equivalent of the dust seal; it's there to avoid contaminants entering the steering gear.
    Roger

Thank you for your help.
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Hi Barry, any suggestions on what I can use for the washer. You are right that someone used a rubber washer under a wingnut on the reservoir cap. I reached out to a few companies on getting this washer but no luck. Any ideas on what I can use or make.

Thanks
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Just cut a groove in a stainless washer with a hack saw and install it with the groove facing the lid so that expanded air from temperature and expanded fluid can displace the air through the groove. If you use a flat or rubber washers you make it a closed system.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Recieved my seal kit today from MKII, same as pictured above. As everyone said, one is a wiper and one is the seal. Both of these have springs in them, one is thicker that the other. how do I know which is the wiper and which is the seal. What am I looking for.

Thanks all for you help
    John Mush
    C56A1836

The thicker one is the first to be installed.
    Roger

It seems impossible to fit all these pieces in there...before I destroy another set of seals, the first oil seal seems to bottom out, I'm not sure it's even going in all the way and then there isnt enough room for the rest of the parts. Would that bushing that is in there cause the seal not to go up all the way? Does the inside lip on the thick seal go inside the bushing (between the shaft and the bushing), or does the oil seal completely around the outside of the bushing or does the seal just go up against the bushing? What is the best way you guys found out is tap up these seals? Any tricks? Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by JohnC; 12-12-2021 at 05:14 PM.