Thread: What other '50s exotics used other maker's drive trains?

Default What other '50s exotics used other maker's drive trains?

One exotic that comes to mind is Cunningham. In his 1953 Cunningham C-3 used an Italian body and a Cadillac or Hemi drive train. Dual-Ghia comes to mind as another Italian body with American inner workings. Help me make of list in the attempt to normalize a low production car with a major manufacturer drive train. There are a number of example of '50s drive trains in limited production cars, world wide. Many were sold through US dealers.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make people understand that the fact that the Continental was powered by Lincoln and sold at a Lincoln dealership doesn't make it a Lincoln just as the name of the Continental Motor Company isn't in any of the 1930s 200+ boutique manufacturers names of their cars, except the short-lived line of their own in 1933-34.

Maybe the should have sold them through the broader Ford dealer network, as they are actually more Ford Continentals than Lincoln Continentals.

Names and dates, please. Pictures if you have them.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Facel Vega automobiles used a De Soto V-8 as their engine in the fifties. Also, I think a case could be made that the Nash Healey used a Nash engine in a Donald Healey auto from Britain. Somewhat obscure but the Kurtis Sports Car used a Ford engine and the Muntz Jet used either a Cadillac or Lincoln engine. I don't think either Studebakers, Nashes and Hudsons with Packard engines qualify as exotic.

2380 Muntz JET Automobile-2.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 10-25-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    Brian Mc Evilly
    Former Mark II Owner

Jensen used Chrysler engines.Gordon Keeble used Chev engines,Iso used chev engines,
    Graham Rollo,
    C56D2663 1956 Continental Mark II
    1957 Imperial Southhampton coupe
    1956 Buick Riveria special coupe
    1939 Chev tudor
    1931 Ford Model A coupe
    1987 Harley Davidson
    . 1940 Ford deluxe coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Rollo View Post
    Jensen used Chrysler engines.Gordon Keeble used Chev engines,Iso used chev engines,
    Excellent. More fuel to make the point that the drive-line does not make the make.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126