PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Lincoln

Bryan Moran
05-30-2016, 10:30 AM
I understand this is the Mark II forum. I hope I can get some help with a Lincoln question.

I have located a 1951 Cosmopolitan convertible close to me I would like to decode the build plate data. I no longer have a Standard Catalog, which may have helped.

I have posted in a couple of locations on the AACA forum, but so far no response. Does anyone know a Lincoln numbers guru I can reach out to to decode the data plate?

I have excellent high resolution photos of the VIN and body plate.

Thank you for any assistance.

Regards
Bryan Moran
email: abc.moran@netzero.net

linmk2
05-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Bryan, have you tried posting your question to this website?

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/

I've been a member there for sometime and the members are very helpful.

VidyBidneth
05-30-2016, 05:18 PM
There's a post war through 1957 Lincoln group on FB, but I can't seem to find it now.

jdsnoddy
05-31-2016, 09:35 AM
I have located a 1951 Cosmopolitan convertible close to me I would like to decode the build plate data.

Does anyone know a Lincoln numbers guru I can reach out to to decode the data plate?

I have excellent high resolution photos of the VIN and body plate.

Regards
Bryan Moran
email: abc.moran@netzero.net

Please go ahead and post a pic of the data plate here. I'd be pleased to see it. I almost bought a similar car in 1973.
It was way too expensive for me at that time...

You might contact the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI; they have lots of history.

John

legrandfromage
05-31-2016, 02:04 PM
As Archivist for the Road Race Lincoln Register (1949 - 1957 -you might benefit from joining) I have the books and can decipher your plate if you will provide the data.

Charlie Berry

legrandfromage
05-31-2016, 04:17 PM
That would be the Road Race Lincoln Register (1949-57) at clubs.hemmings.com/roadracelincoln/

Charlie Berry
Archivist
Road Race Lincoln Register

Bryan Moran
05-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Bryan, have you tried posting your question to this website?

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/

I've been a member there for sometime and the members are very helpful.

Howard
Thank you for the recommendation. No I have not yet. I was headed there. I tried to log into/create a membership on the LCOC forum but need to be a member 1st, which I am not.

Bryan Moran
05-31-2016, 09:16 PM
I will try to post the picture tomorrow. I am using my work laptop presently and the photo is on my personal laptop.

Bryan Moran
06-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Hopefully, 2 photos of the VIN are attached. I did get a response from the AACA Lincoln area, but they were unable to add comments regarding the interior trim. And I am unclear what Chantilly Green is.

jdsnoddy
06-02-2016, 09:42 AM
I like this color! Here's a pic of Chantilly Green:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&ditzler=&syear=1949&smanuf=Lincoln&smodel=Lincoln&name=lincoln194940735&scomm=Cosmopolitan

legrandfromage
06-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Hi

That's incorrectly identified as Chantilly Green, I'll attach an accurate picture.

On the matter of the data plate:

20 is Chantilly Green

87 is Lime Green Leather

103 is the top code. The book does not give us this information, but the choices were: Black/Black Trim. Black/Red Trim. Blue Gray/Blue Gray Trim. Gray Tan/Gray Tan Trim. Green/Green Trim. I may get an answer on this later.

7 is the day of the month assembled.

E is the month assembled

30 is the 30th car produced on that day.

legrandfromage
06-02-2016, 05:52 PM
51 is year

LP is Lincoln Plant (Wayne Mich)

1460 is actual VIN

H is Cosmopolitan

H-76 is Cosmopolitan Convertible

Bryan Moran
06-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks all. There seems to be some question regarding the tint of the Chantilly Green.

I will try to attach a photo of the trunk, which shows the same basic yellow of the above car and not the mint green of the 1st car, although a Green does appear.

I got excited when I saw the "1st" Chantilly Grren which is a nice sage green, however the more yellow Chantilly Green is a nice color too.

Not so much with the green interior.

jdsnoddy
06-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Since the trunk showed the nice yellow tint Chantilly Green, I'd say that's your answer. Please disregard the erroneous info I found earlier. Stick with what you found... Good luck.

Bryan Moran
06-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Trust me John, I was hoping the Sage Green was the color. I am a big fan of wet look pastels like that Sage Green car you posted a photo of.

Lilac or light pink/purple on some cars also pops.

But in discussion on other forums, it appears that Chantilly Green is a light green-yellow and is a fairly common color for these cars, if anything only made 857 new is considered common.