PDA

View Full Version : Musings on a Wednesday - today's cars

John Herrell
03-09-2016, 10:54 AM
We bought 2 cars late last year, of course the Mark II and also a Toyota Avalon. (Our friends nod knowingly and say, "Yeah, I get it; one for you and one for her." <g>)

I've been thinking about that new car (first for us in over 10 years). It's an amazingly complex machine, and in no way do I consider that a good thing. It strikes me that any number of computer failings would render the car useless. Which brings me to a question: Are we facing a time a few years out when all the cars of today are destined to a residual value of zero? (Just like an old computer, especially one that fails.) Sure seems like it.

Matt Cashion
03-09-2016, 12:15 PM
A very good observation! I have seen over the last 10 to 15 years that electronics that now control everything do start to fail with age and and reliability tends to become a big issue. More so with European vehicles than Asian. A $2000 control module for a $60,000 vehicle isn't too bad when the vehicle is still worth $40,000. But when the vehicle has aged and is worth only $10,000 that's a different story.

Kind of like when you buy a new flat screen TV. You can spend a little for a small one with just a few features or a lot for one that does everything but bring you a snack. 7 or 8 years down the road when they blink out you don't even consider trying to repair either one.

Our new vehicles today are a multiple number of computers that talk to one another on a set of 4 tires. When one gets sick it can affect the others.

If one can afford to not keep a new vehicle longer than the warranty that covers all the electronics there is more love than hate in the relationship.

Just my 2 cents--:rolleyes:

VidyBidneth
03-09-2016, 01:23 PM
A very good observation! I have seen over the last 10 to 15 years that electronics that now control everything do start to fail with age and and reliability tends to become a big issue. More so with European vehicles than Asian. A $2000 control module for a $60,000 vehicle isn't too bad when the vehicle is still worth $40,000. But when the vehicle has aged and is worth only $10,000 that's a different story.

Kind of like when you buy a new flat screen TV. You can spend a little for a small one with just a few features or a lot for one that does everything but bring you a snack. 7 or 8 years down the road when they blink out you don't even consider trying to repair either one.

Our new vehicles today are a multiple number of computers that talk to one another on a set of 4 tires. When one gets sick it can affect the others.

If one can afford to not keep a new vehicle longer than the warranty that covers all the electronics there is more love than hate in the relationship.

Just my 2 cents--:rolleyes:
The remaining B-52s get computer and electronic upgrades to avionics, communications, navigation, weapons systems, etc. with an airframe that's rugged enough to make it to its 100th birthday. Guess you could say that they've restomodded it.

John Herrell
03-09-2016, 01:27 PM
B-52s also benefit from a totally open-ended budget. Nobody likes to ever say no to weapons.

RL Chilton
03-09-2016, 01:41 PM
I agree with Matt.

Don Henschel
03-09-2016, 05:59 PM
I guess that pretty much sums it up about all the useless garbage in the newer vehicles. A bunch of unneeded computers and whistles and bells. And God help you if one little sensor fails. It's to the point where I carry a code reader in my cars with this garbage all the time for when the dreaded amber light comes on. Instead of the amber engine symbol they should change it to a $ sign or a picture of somebody being held upside down by your ankles with your money falling out of you pockets. My latest is that dreaded 420 code that more than likely is a catalytic converter replacement because new O2 sensors didn't help at all:mad::puke. I would say with all of this unwanted added garbage forces you to have to go to the dealership or scrap an otherwise okay car.

mastersg
03-09-2016, 08:16 PM
We have them about 7 miles North of my home. About 32 B-52's all ready to go. As a matter of fact, our B-52's are getting ready to deploy from Minot to help destroy ISIS. First time seeing real combat since 2005!! And their airframe is one of the oldest in the inventory, but still is doing its job!!!

John Herrell
03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
We have them about 7 miles North of my home. About 32 B-52's all ready to go. As a matter of fact, our B-52's are getting ready to deploy from Minot to help destroy ISIS. First time seeing real combat since 2005!! And their airframe is one of the oldest in the inventory, but still is doing its job!!!
You bring back a fond old memory. I recall (very well, actually) looking up in the sky in Hayward, CA in the summer of '52 (I was 8 years old) and seeing a B-52 for the first time. Quite amazing. (Imagine that longevity! The plane I mean, the plane.)

VidyBidneth
03-10-2016, 10:27 AM
You bring back an fond old memory. I recall (very well, actually) looking up in the sky in Hayward, CA in the summer of '52 (I was 8 years old) and seeing a B-52 for the first time. Quite amazing. (Imagine that longevity!)
I see that 3 months ago our B-52s rattled China's cage by flying near their newly created artificial islands.

Matt Cashion
03-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Don--- check out bigdaddiesgarage.com for a workaround to your cat. converter issue.

I grew up in Marcy, NY not far from Griffis Air Force base and remember seeing so many B52's overhead everyday that it was just common place. Sadly the base has been closed for many years.