PDA

View Full Version : "Doing A Favor" Thread?

awags
12-30-2015, 07:45 PM
It's obvious now that with computers, smart phones, Internet, Craigslist, EBAY, etc, etc, etc, we have hugely broadened our search areas for vehicles. All vehicles, not just Mark II's! Not so long ago we would check local paper classifieds, local Autotrader type magazines, etc, and that was pretty much our limit, generally a short drive.

But now we are finding vehicles much further away, which to a certain person may be a good deal and what they have been looking for, and therefore worth the drive to get it.

The problem is it may be a long expensive drive/flight to go check out a "VERY SOLID, ALL ORIGINAL, COMPLETE" car just to find out it's mostly bondo, with bad paint and to top it off missing all the trim... Then to start the search all over again and make another road trip. Yes I'm speaking from experience.

This is a pretty close knit forum, which is the only reason I suggest this.

How about we start a "Any body in ________ Area willing to do me a favor?"

For example I might be looking at a car in Detroit, and I'm 8 hrs away. It's a pretty big gamble to load up truck and trailer, drive there to look at the bondo bucket, and come all the way home empty handed when Joe Schmoe lives 5 miles away and could've checked it out for me!!! Someone I trust and know he knows a thing or two about cars...

With that said, If anyone here wants something looked at within reason of my place in central Wisconsin, I'd be happy to check it out. Cars, motorcycles, whatever. It would give me something to do!!

And yes I am considering a car in Detroit...

Shelly Harris
12-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Excellent suggestion.... however I trusted a friend to look at a car and upon deliver I was sorry that I didn't use a pro as the friend blew it. I expected too much from him. But the members of this forum are really up on our car so results should be better.

Matt Cashion
12-31-2015, 08:59 AM
I think, if used properly, an inspection by the average forum member could offer good information to learn if a trip for a personal inspection is worth going on. Most folks today have phones that can take good pictures and send them to the prospective buyer. If we were to prepare a check list of things to look at and for and post it here where one could download and print it out to have while doing an inspection for another forum member that would help too.

I like the idea and would be willing to help others to the best of my ability.

jdsnoddy
12-31-2015, 01:08 PM
I like the idea of "do me a favor local inspections." If ever I can assist, please count me in.

John Snoddy
Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387

Joseph Stebbins
12-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Count me in on the Gulf Coast!

awags
12-31-2015, 04:59 PM
As for Shelly's example, I personally would have a hard time buying something sight unseen, no matter how good my source was! I was thinking more towards Matt's example that "Yes it's probably is worth your time to come check it out", or "I wouldn't waste your time-".

Sean Rollins
12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
I'd like to help around the Calgary area.

Joe Lowe
12-31-2015, 07:13 PM
my name is Joe Lowe not Joe schmo. count me in.

RL Chilton
12-31-2015, 10:38 PM
Yeah, don't call Joe Schmo, he's friends with Chuck Schmuck and they're just not reliable. But I could help out in Central Texas.

Dick Speelman
01-01-2016, 10:37 AM
I also like the idea of a check list, especially pictures and on site phone conversations. Most of us who have Mark ii's know what is really important to look for. I'm in northern Ohio and would help in any way I can.

Bob Barger
01-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Who is the knowledgeable person that will draft the checklist? I'm available to do checks in southern CA.

licorice
01-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Count me in for New York,Long Island area. Can do southern Maine to. I feel tons of pictures texted or emailed help. I've done two for some on here , I know that both were happy. One car is still for sale needing much work.
Anthony Orofino

Shelly Harris
01-03-2016, 01:42 PM
To help this idea along..... I could open up a forum area in the Marketplace section... call it something like "request a member to check out a car". Those willing to do it can checkout the forum regularly for any requests that get posted. Should this forum be available to all or only to Sponsoring Members ? Comments on any issue this may raise are solicited.

Sean Rollins
01-03-2016, 06:19 PM
I think leaving it open to all may be beneficial in two ways. One, there may be people who will assist that may not otherwise be available for sponsors. Two, it may encourage people to become sponsors once they see some of the benefits of sponsorship and just how many knowledgeable people are available to assist one another. Just my 2 cents...

rednblackgarage
01-05-2016, 07:18 PM
I am no where near the aficionado on Mark IIs that others seem to be but I would be more than willing to check out a car in my area-- (sunny Sacramento)

I hired a "professional" appraiser to check out the Mark II I was buying in Atlanta and he was LOUSY. Having someone who is knowledgeable about our Marks would have been very welcomed

Don Henschel
01-10-2016, 11:18 PM
I think leaving it open to all may be beneficial in two ways. One, there may be people who will assist that may not otherwise be available for sponsors. Two, it may encourage people to become sponsors once they see some of the benefits of sponsorship and just how many knowledgeable people are available to assist one another. Just my 2 cents...
Yes I would also say leaving it open for all would be a good idea as well. Perhaps somebody who has just joined who is still looking(or is trying to build up some courage) for his or her first Mark II and doesn't know where to begin would find this very helpful. After they take the plunge and then purchase one then they would most likely become a sponsering member.

Pat Marshall
01-14-2016, 06:31 AM
I have had to unretire and help a struggling business so maybe ya'll have noticed I haven't been very active recently.
I hope that changes soon.

Nevertheless, I can cover central and SE Ohio.

Also, somewhere in my boxes of stuff and files, I have a. Mark II inspection checklist that Lowell Domholdt used.

Lowell was a professor of Mechanical Engineering, so it is the mothe of all inspection checklists! As soon as I find it I will make it available to all!