PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers

BillSNC
08-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Were fire extinguishers a standard feature in these cars? My dad owned one in the late 70's and it had what appeared to be standard feature fire extinguisher.

Sean Rollins
08-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Not as original equipment, but lots of us do carry them too. "Better to have it and not need it..."

Keith W Colonna
08-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Fire extinguishers are often required to be displayed on the field at AACA car shows. I carry one in each of my cars...at the ready. Car fires are a long shot for the average driver. But the average drivers are not in vehicles 1/2 a century or more in age. So after 40 years of antique vehicle operation and a few close calls due to unpredictable fuel system failures.....I am always ready. I have 'em on the walls of my garage too. On my boat...one is every 10 feet...and a halon system in the engine room too. Fire scares me. There are some available in chrome finish which are attractive accessories to the classic cars.

BillSNC
08-17-2014, 10:03 PM
The Continental we had in the early to late 70's had a chrome fire extinguisher in it. It appeared factory but I had not seen anything about them.

Dave Harris
01-16-2015, 05:56 PM
There are many choices of fire extinguishers to carry in your car. A 50 year old antique could catch fire from electrical/gas leak issues. Also many car shows require them. Some buy the cheap, easier to find "dry chemical" type. Problem is, they are messy if used and you are essentially pouring sand into your engine bay! I used to have that in the car but later moved it inside the house to potentially use there. There's also "Halon". "CO2" is another option but remember there's changes in temperature inside your car. I recommend and have a "Halotron" in the trunks of my old cars, which is clean if used and leaves no residue. Also remember if you get a 2 1/2 lb it's only going to last about 10 seconds. I know it's bigger, but a 5 lb gives you longer spray time and a little extra piece of mind in case of a fire. So, which do you keep in your car for safety/car shows?