PDA

View Full Version : 2287 Hillsborough Concours d' Elegance & Tour 2014

Chuck Lutz
07-20-2014, 10:48 PM
An interesting week for sure..
Back in May when it became pretty clear 2287 would be completed soon, I did a fairly ambitious thing and entered my Mark II in the Concours. I have attended it for several years but never entered a car. I was feeling good about the level of detail and authenticity we had achieved in the car but the last minute things piled up one after another in the last week to the point I honestly didn't think we would make in time. From the generator on the fritz (regulator issue) to resonators and exhaust to final detailing, to wheel alignments, the last week was a zoo.
We literally completed everything at 10pm last Friday night a mere 12 hours before the tour was scheduled to leave Saturday morning. Oh, yes, I signed up for the 70 mile tour too. Down the coast and up the coastal range mountains and back through the skyline road a Hillsborough Peninsula Estate for lunch. I was more than a bit apprehensive that my only "shake-out run" would be that type but WTH everything seemed to working well. It went marvelously. No overheat, no steering problems and it turned out to be a lovely drive. At the Estate luncheon yesterday the director asked if I would take one of the few parking spaces in front of the Mansion to exhibit the car during the time there. Oh, have I missed that car.
Today was the Concours. As I said, having never done a Concours I didn't know what to expect but assumed that would change quickly. The car was well received by both the other owners and exhibitors as well as the public. Many questions and lots of fans of the Mark II. The Mark II gleemed in the sunlight and showed quite well, I thought. In the end none of the three awards were meant for my Mark II today. Oddly in the A3 Class (SCCA Rules) 1955 -1989 Post War {My history books could have that "post 3 1/2" wars} 1st went to 57 T BIRD Very nice car that could be on a 1957 Showroom Floor, 2nd was a 60 Impala Conv. Also nice. And 3rd ....wait for it..... 1957 T BIRD. Nice car.. blah blah LOL..
I spoke to my judges after and pleasantly asked how my car could show better. I was told about this and that about electrical connector and hose clamps. Hmmm, then he told me that was important to him. "I'm an electrical engineer".
All and all, a great weekend with great folks, beautiful scenery and MY CAR BACK!

rfm45
08-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi Chuck,

Your car looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations on a beautiful restoration. You should be very proud of it.

I’ve had similar experiences at concours where I feel there’s more subjectivity in selections. At Concours of America, the judges focused more on my car’s history - lost to time - than the extent of the restoration or inspecting the fit, finish and authenticity of the car. It has scored 99.75 at four marque grand nationals in graduated competition. My car took a second place win. The first place car was stunning in a very usual factory color; but the owner had a litany of stories about its history. I put more stock in the judging and awards presented at marque club events. Many of the judging teams are truly experts in the cars they judge.

I’d be proud to have 2287 in my garage any day

Ralph

Chuck Lutz
08-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks Ralph, I'm truly enjoying having the car back and driving it again. I have since corrected all the wiring shortcomings and frankly, it did a lot to clean up what perhaps I was to close to notice :cool:
I've since taken the car to a local show and was the "hands down" (their words) winner of the most outstanding 50's car, oddly enough by a couple gentlemen from that same concours. Nonetheless, I enjoy sharing the car, the history of the Mark II and the Mark II Forum with anyone that wants to hear about it.
Next weekend we'll be taking it up to the wine country on it longest outing to a Western Region Picnic and Tasting in honor of Mike Cunningham, a devoted member of the Western Region that we lost suddenly last year.

Pat Marshall
08-16-2014, 07:59 AM
What a great car! The history has been updated - a really colorful history (in more ways than one!)

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=16251#post16251

Do you have any interior pictures? (Maybe I missed them?)

Also do you have any carpet nameplate information?

Thanks!

Bob Barger
08-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Oddly in the A3 Class (SCCA Rules) 1955 -1989 Post War {My history books could have that "post 3 1/2" wars} 1st went to 57 T BIRD Very nice car that could be on a 1957 Showroom Floor, 2nd was a 60 Impala Conv. Also nice. And 3rd ....wait for it..... 1957 T BIRD. Nice car.. blah blah LOL..
I spoke to my judges after and pleasantly asked how my car could show better. I was told about this and that about electrical connector and hose clamps. Hmmm, then he told me that was important to him. "I'm an electrical engineer".
All and all, a great weekend with great folks, beautiful scenery and MY CAR BACK!

I have entered my car in a number of local shows over the years and have learned that voting is very subjective. Sometimes an unusual car like a Mark will catch the eye of the judges and other times they will vote for what they remember as kids, like the Birds and 57 Bel Airs. I continue to go because mine is the only Mark there and I still run across people that have never seen one. I enjoy talking about it with those who don't know anything about it and also with those who know a great deal about them. I periodically learn something I didn't know (as I do from the forum). Being competitive I think I should win every time I take it out, and I have a number of trophies, but I don't because not everyone has good taste.

Doc
08-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Chuck, your car looks fantastic. I enjoyed following your restoration vicariously and hope you're pleased with the color change; personally I think it's a much more elegant choice.
Bob's post (and others throughout the Forum) capture our concours experiences as well. We've earned everything from best of show to third in class--and everything in between--at different shows over the years; often "competing" against some of the same cars with varying results. We've always been more focused on the total experience rather than the judging when evaluating our concours' history and that's why we continue to do them. Sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed the event...why worry too much about a hose clamp or the color of a wire?

RL Chilton
08-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Your car is truly beautiful and thanks for sharing your experience.

I sent you a PM.

Chuck Lutz
08-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Your car is truly beautiful and thanks for sharing your experience.

I sent you a PM.

Thanks Russell. The "experience" was sometimes just that. At times it moved at such an incredibly slow pace I thought it would never be finished and at others I was inspired by the smallest victory like two pieces of trim being attached and finished around the windows.
Hundreds of photos were taken all through the process to, not only chronicle the progress but it also helped me during the slower periods study the lists of "what next?".. "I need to find these".. etc. Many decisions have to be made during the restoration and I do appreciate the feedback and input from many of the MKIIF members in that regard as well.
I recently took many of the photos, in chronological order and put them together in a sort of a slide show (put to the music of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue) LOL.. After I teared up watching it..... I had to laugh.. the file was 10 minutes long and was 21 MB large. I guess I'll have to wittle it down a bit to share.

Chuck Lutz
08-27-2014, 12:40 AM
What a great car! The history has been updated - a really colorful history (in more ways than one!)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, last weekend we took the Mark II to Sonoma for a Western Region wine tasting and picnic.

Yes, LAST weekend with the QUAKE but it's California and I'll get to that later. We're talking cars here. (With all due respect to those in Napa cleaning up)

I may have closed an important loop in the history of 2287 while there. The event had a terrific turnout of attendees of Lincoln Continental owners and one other Mark II besides ours. A beautiful green car owned by an older gentleman by the name of Bill Edwards. I don't know Bill's age but he was in good shape, not too tall, a bit on the thin side and I'm guessing mid to late 70's. Now, I have heard his name in passing as he has been involved in LCOC in various capacities but had never met him previously. Very nice man with a very nice Mark II.
As the function was drawing to a close in the parking lot, several of us drifted around the cars. When the group came to 2287 I gladly showed them. Bill looked over the car with the common interests we share of Mark IIs. We chatted and I mentioned a bit about the car being delivered to the Jacuzzi Bros. in Feb '56. The man's eyes lit up and he became very animated. He pointed to the car and started saying "Baby Blue!!.. Baby Blue!! I wasn't exactly sure how he knew but I said "Yes, but originally, it was medium blue but somewhere along the way... ". He stopped me short in mid sentence. "I know, I painted it."
Turns out. Bill held a manager's position at Uptown Motors in Oakland at the time. The car was ordered and sold to the Jacuzzi Bros with the idea that it was Light blue. When the car arrived it was medium blue. When the salesman saw it he went nuts. Bill said they had to get approval from "District sales office at 14th and Broadway" (I believe) in Oakland to approve the re-paint by Ford, which they did.
As Bill told the story, the car was taken into they're shop and completely torn down, stripped inside and out, engine out, painted light blue and re-assembled in a matter of days before <name> Jacuzzi showed up to see and receive the car. <He recalled Mr. Jacuzzi's name>
All the time I've owned the car I could not figure out who would have done such a complete color change from medium to light on the car based on the history that I had on the car.
I've asked Bill if he would please write this in a letter so I may have it for the records and he agreed. I will stay in touch with him but not only for the letter but he's a great car guy.

Pat Marshall
08-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Chuck, I don't know whether or not you got the VIN of Bill Edwards' car, but it's 3953.

Did he mention if it is for sale? The reason I ask is that's it's the same specifications of the car currently for sale by a Los Angeles dealer - D20-1C2D - (doesn't mean the car is actually in LA!).

I've been suspecting that the car that for sale might be either 3953 or 3981.

Did you take any pictures of 3953?

RL Chilton
08-27-2014, 09:37 AM
What a cool story! I'd be interested in seeing your slide show, if you care to share.

Chuck Lutz
08-28-2014, 09:15 PM
I didn't get any photos and Bill didn't mention anything about the car being for sale. It was a very nice car. I didn't get the VIN but it does look like the listing photos. I will be calling him shortly and will ask.

Chuck Lutz
09-07-2014, 10:31 AM
I guess we know now that it wasn't Bill's car for sale in LA. I haven't yet spoken to Bill but I did stumble across this online the other day about 3953.

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2014/07/18/photos-1957-continental-mark-ii/#1