PDA

View Full Version : Auto Start in Neutral?

linmk2
11-24-2013, 03:24 PM
I happened to come across a YouTube video of a 57 Lincoln Premiere, during the presentation, the car was started by turning the key to the ON position and when the gear shift was put into neutral, the starter engaged. I had no idea that's how a 57 Lincoln started. To start my 56 Mark, I place the gear shift into neutral and turn the key. Did any Mark II start the same way as the 57 Lincoln? Here is a link to the video. The start up is about 6 minutes into the presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BunsYg1vpM&feature=player_embedded

11-24-2013, 11:28 PM
I had a 1957 Lincoln back in the sixties. It started just like the Mark II. Neutral and then turn the key.

Back then, I thought the neutral safety switch was defective.

A buddy had a 1957 Ford Fairlane. His car started in Park or Neutral.
Go figure!

Alan R. Harris
C56D2744

joeinbcs
11-25-2013, 06:41 AM
One of the best things I did on my car was install the "Neutral Switch Conversion" that allows the car to start in Park.
I suppose everyone knows that this is an easy upgrade, but if anybody doesn't know about it, its definitely worth doing and cheap.

Bob Barger
11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
One of the best things I did on my car was install the "Neutral Switch Conversion" that allows the car to start in Park.
I suppose everyone knows that this is an easy upgrade, but if anybody doesn't know about it, its definitely worth doing and cheap.

This is a really good idea, I live on a hill and prefer to start my car in park. Jack used to sell a simple kit for this (and maybe still does) and it is an easy install. Next time I have my car up in the air I will take a picture.

Sean Rollins
11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I chose not to because starting in neutral encourages the use of my ebrake. The lack of use for 50 years caused the cables to seize the first time I pulled on the handle. Im just glad I restrained myself and waited to test them when I had the drums off for inspection.

Bob Barger
11-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I chose not to because starting in neutral encourages the use of my ebrake. The lack of use for 50 years caused the cables to seize the first time I pulled on the handle. Im just glad I restrained myself and waited to test them when I had the drums off for inspection.

I recall during the time we spent in Edmonton that if we set the parking brake in the winter it froze in place. That was a lot of fun.