PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm.....

bclement
11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Does anybody actually buy anything here or is this where we just keep tabs on things for sale? (I know it sounds sarcastic, but I'm really beginning to wonder?) I've had tremendous volume of calls and even visits, but then the money thing comes up and there is a lot of 'hem-hawling'....So is there really interest among us Mark II folks about buying cars? Every time one comes up on E-bay everybody has something to say about it....look at the posts! But....

Just an FYI as an analyst, the top of the market is absolutely tied to the bottom of the market.....which I don't feel where I'm at! If every car that isn't 100% is worth nothing, then arguments about restorations costs or even rarity at that point is meaningless?! I you really wanted to you could start a forum for Pinto wagon owners and make all the same arguments! As rarity and low production are not the same thing. But I'll bet a beer that right now today Pintos are more rare than Mark II's!!!

Just my thoughts!

ringle
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I feel your pain, but you are not alone in the car seller market.

Almost everyone who has ever sold a car (of almost any make/model/rarity etc.) will take a loss on their original purchase + any investment of time and/or money which they have put into it.

Your car looks like it still needs plenty of time and money just to be a #4 driver. A road-ready driver could probably be had in the current market for $18-20K. Thus is it really worth it to someone to purchase your car at what you feel is a fair price? The answer to the age old question: What is my car worth? Is always, exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Thus you must either be willing to wait until the "right" buyer comes along, or the market catches up to what you feel it is worth, or take what someone is currently willing to pay.

All of these choices are usually unacceptable to the seller, however this is the reality of selling any automobile, which are almost never a good "investment".

I'm not being negative with this, just realistic.

Best of luck with your sale.

BTW, many of the people on this forum will already own a Mark II, and thus not be in the buyer classification

bclement
11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I really got all of that. And it rings as true now as it ever did in years past! I spent more than I should have making this car road worthy and safe...but then again, I never thought I was going to sell it! Life happens! Before this I was Model-T guy! So I know what hurt feels like! I am just really beginning to wonder if there are really car guys out there anymore or if things have really shifted to the buy it done crowd that have no concept. Half the fun used to be sifting through boxes at Hershey in the rain and mud!!

We should have never cut Shop Class from the curriculum! We can be a nation of bankers if we want, but eventually, you're going to need a break job! Even for your foreign car!

Brad

RL Chilton
11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Brad-

Everything you and Ringle has said is all very true. I couldn't find anything to disagree with either of you. I've been down this road many times before.

Question: Are you advertising elsewhere, along as on this forum? Forum's are great, but the market is very small and as it has been pointed out, the majority of Mark II forum users are Mark II owners. Also, as I am something of a Newbie on this forum, it has come to my attention that in the Mark II world, it is, and has been for quite a while, a "Buyer's Market" and not a "Seller's Market". Demand is too low and supply is too high. This is good for someone like me, who is not yet a Mark II owner and has wanted one since '69, when I first saw one. It's somewhat not-as-good for someone who has one and wants to get rid of it. You'll have to take less now or wait it out. In the meantime, I highly recommend that you advertise in places like Auto Trader, Craigslist, E-Bay, etc.

I am also into Hudsons and I network with over 100 other addicts, er, Hudson Folks. Networking is a great way to find a new home for that former love.

I DO wish you the best of luck in finding a new home for her.

ishigakisensei
11-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I spent more than I should have making this car road worthy and safe...but then again, I never thought I was going to sell it!....

Oh how many cars are sold by widows at a "fair" price? Patience is a sellers worst enemy.

bclement
11-18-2013, 09:42 PM
We're all friends here....and what do friends do? They tell the truth!

We're in violent agreement! My frustration isn't so much about my attempted and so far failed car sale so much as the whole hobby and the direction it's headed...which is why I posted here. There was a fella' in Dayton recently trying to offload and a bunch of parts still bolted together and for really a steal of a price!

We as a community can't talk about how rare and special these cars are and in the same breath boo-hoo every seller. When these cars show up for sale, or parts, we are the market and we set the price. Lest we become the Hudson or Edsel "people".

Just my opinion....

Ricks
11-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Just browsing through Hemmings the other day, I can't remember there ever being so many Mark II's for sale in Hemmings as there are right now.... Ever... So it's looks like it's currently a buyer's market to me.

Seems to be quite a few owners unloading their "need to be done" Mark II's. Hopefully they'll sell to buyers who are ready and able to bite-the-bullet for what it takes to restore, whatever the mix of out-source and do-yourself it may be.

But when you're talking about a car where a functional "driver" costs less than what you'd spend just to do all the plating and buy just the raw materials to re-upholster.... You're looking at quite the chicken/egg dilemma.

I've said it all along, the more decently-restored Mark II's that bring heavy prices at auction, the more "comfortable" people will be diving into the restoration process. It'll always likely be an up-side-down proposition, but the less up-side-down you are, the better... :)